To be signed by ALL Members
In order to create and sustain a pleasant and enjoyable living and playing environment, the MBH community has created this set of guidelines. All members can be an example to others by showing our larger community that living by the 10 Burning Man Principles on a day-to-day basis is possible and allows us to thrive.
The following are our guidelines and expectations of all members, residents, and guests at the Morris.
- Noise levels will be decreased after 10:00 pm during the week when there is no holiday or event happening. This pertains to both the building and the yard. We respect residents peace and quiet. We are happy to recommend any number of 24 hour places in Reno where one can hang out in the late night hours.
- This is a Leave No Trace space. Leaving MOOP, cigarette butts, cans, bottles, trash, etc., including dishes left in the sink, is also not considerate and not the mark of a good guest or housemate.
- Nudity is not allowed in any public areas, inside or outside.
- Excessive intoxication is not acceptable. It is okay to indulge, but not to be out of control drunk or problematic in any way. This includes being excessively loud, arguing, or just being an ass.
- Smoking anything or having an open flame (ie candles or unattended incense) in the building is not allowed. This is an old building and we all need to be mindful of the safety of our environment.
- Illegal substances are still illegal at the Morris, use of which jeopardizes what we have built here for the entire community. If you feel the need to engage in these activities, please do it away from our property. This is especially true for residents – you set the example for visitors and guests to follow, please set a good one.
- You are responsible for any of your guests while at the MBH and you will be held accountable for their actions. If they break the rules, please educate and enlighten them about our guidelines and community standards. Members who are not staying at MBH will be asked to leave at 10pm on weeknights and midnight on weekends, unless they are intending on spending the night with a resident or if they are the guest of a specific resident who will be responsible for the guest until they are escorted out.
- No sleeping is allowed in public spaces.
- Guests of third floor residents must be escorted at all times. Staff or third floor hostel guests are permitted.
- We are a gifting community and givers by nature. This in no way means we are to be solicited by other residents or guests i.e. regularly asking for cigarettes, alcohol, food, money, rides and such. Radical self reliance is one of the principles. Please try to see to your own needs.
- Please be mindful that while community space is everywhere, use only food supplies and groceries that belong to you or that are put on the community/sharing tables. *Our kitchen guidelines and expectations are included in a separate document.
- There is no fire spinning on the property without Controlled Burn sanctioning the event. Lighting of the burn barrel will be approved by Hostel management as there are many conditions, including air quality, neighbors rights, etc that must be considered first. Fire in our burn barrels must be kept to safe levels. There should be no raging or dangerous levels of fire in our burn barrels, especially on windy days. Please do not start a fire and leave it unattended. If you start it, it is your responsibility to maintain it.
- We expect that our members and residents will communicate openly and honestly with each other to resolve issues and situations. When that does not occur, we will evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis, keeping the concept of “radical inclusion” in mind, while at the same time cooperating to produce a fun, safe, and drama free environment at the Morris. *Our communication guidelines and expectations are included in a separate document.
- Verbal abuse will not be tolerated.
- Please be mindful of bad language, especially when young guests are visiting the Hostel. Use common sense.
Anyone violating the below rules (zero tolerance) at the MBH will be asked to vacate the premises immediately and their actions may result in police involvement. Rules that fall into this category are as follows:
- Excessive physical violence when the resident or member is the aggressor.
- Dealing or distributing drugs or anything else illegal.
- Any instance of sexual harassment, such as unwanted pinching, spanking, kissing, verbal sexual advances, and similar, non-physical but clearly unwanted behavior, is completely unacceptable. It is imperative that each person living or staying at the Morris feels safe in their environment.
- Underage drinking and/or providing minors with alcohol.
I, on behalf of myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, hereby irrevocably & unconditionally release & hold harmless from liability The Morris Burner Hotel LLC and it’s Releasees from any & all liabilities, injuries, losses, claims, actions, damages, costs, or expenses of any nature whatsoever whether in law or equity, known or unknown, occurring during, caused by, relating to, or arising in any way from my participation at The Morris Burner Hotel.
I understand that being at The Morris Burner Hotel may involve participation in physical activities both indoors and outdoors. With these, and all related activities, there is a certain element of risk. By accepting this waiver, I hereby acknowledge that my participation is at my own risk, certifying that I am physically able to participate in any performance or activity that I am engaged in on premises, and have not been advised otherwise by a qualified medical professional, and that I assume all responsibilities for any and all aspects of participation by both myself and any children who might accompany me. This waiver applies to any and all activities participated in at The Morris Burner Hotel LLC.
I understand that this Release of Liability irrevocably & unconditionally releases and holds harmless all Releasees from any financial or other liability for any injury, bodily harm, sickness, illness, or loss of life that I as a Guest or my family member or friend may suffer and from any economic harm or loss of property occurring during, caused by, relating to, or arising in any way out of volunteering at The Morris Burner Hotel.
I, the undersigned, have read the Rules and Guidelines, this Release from Liability & understand all of its terms; I have executed it voluntarily, with full knowledge of its significance, & intend to be legally bound by it. Children here with me and named below are my responsibility and under 18 while here at The Morris Burner Hotel. My signature includes them in coverage of this release form.